After a ten year absence from Guiding, I joined the local unit hoping to find that fun, friendship and challenge I remember from my childhood. In Lennoxville, I found all three and a whole lot more! Now, I’m a Guide leader, mainly. Our unit is made up of twenty-odd girls, ages 5 and up – anyone who wants to join in the fun! – so I get to hang out with all age groups. I’m thrilled to be working with such a rich and dynamic group of leaders and girls who keep coming up with great new ideas, challenges and projects for us all to participate in. We sing songs, sell cookies, go hiking, hold various ceremonies, and, as leaders, attend trainings just like anywhere else. On top of that, Guiding in Lennoxville creates some very special occasions that all of our girls can participate in. Here, let me name a few of the more memorable ones that I was lucky enough to take part in over the last year:
- Fear Factor Sleepover and Rock Climbing
- Remembrance Day Museum Visit and Guest speakers
- Toiletries Drive Benefiting a Women’s Shelter
- Holy Days Party
- Hawaiian Beach Night
- Winter Camp: Cross Canada Challenge – Yukon, Northwest Territory and Nunavut
- St Patrick’s Day Tea Party and Chinese Auction
- Queen’s Jubilee: Supper with the “Queen”
- Bring a Friend Diva Rock Star Party
- Barn Day with families, cats, horses, goats, a rabbit and a pony
- Summer Camp: Around the World in Seven Days
Not too shabby, eh?
But, well, this list seems a little too dry. Maybe these photos will give you a more vivid idea how special these events are to our units…
Hmm… Even those aren’t enough to convey the magic of those special moments. Maybe this video will do the trick:
Can you imagine it? Can you see it? Can you feel it?!
THAT is Girl Guide magic!
About our Guest Blogger: Esther Keller is a Guider with the 1st Lennoxville Guide Unit. If you are interested in guest blogging, please send us an email at email@example.com.